Free ways of becomming an effective altruist
I am trying to spread the message of Effective Altruism in Slovenia, where I live.
I myself was for for a long time stuck in analysis paralysis as I also only donate about 10% of my income and why would people even listen to me as I am no “extreme” role model in the sense that I give great amounts or percentages of my money away.
Most people and students which are my peers are struggling with money but I am trying to convince them to donate at around 5% of their income.
If that is impossible here are some ways that cost nothing.
FREE and easy ways to become a more effective altruist:
- become an organ donor
- donate your body to science when you die (you advance science plus no funeral money is required)
- take (buy) only what you need
- use car sharing to make some money and save atmosphere some carbon :)
- spread the word about effective altruism by organising groups with minimal time investment and meeting some cool new people that might become your business partners, friends…
- if you do sports or any other hobby, try organising a group for those who can’t afford payed lessons or to simply motivate yourself and others to live a healthier life
- eat less meat
NOT SO FREE and easy ways to become a more effective altruist:
- when you shop for a luxury item online (aka the one you don’t really need), give 5% worth of the purchase to a charity of your choosing; even better yet, sleep on it and realise that you don’t need that item and rather give a small amount to charity; I BET it will make you feel better for longer and you will know you did something GOOD and MEANINGFUL with your money. Probably you just changed the course of a life for a whole family and all there descendants in a small and important way.
- every time you buy a plane ticket, realise how fortunate you are to have the ability fligh and how unfortunate for the environment that is, and donate 10% of your ticket to a charity that works in the field of environment safety.
I wish more websites would enable this possibility.
EXAMPLE: if your are 10€ short of free shipping and are willing to donate to charity 7€ we will include free shipping or something of the sort ;)
Acta non verba.
P.S. Thanky you Mr. Money Mustache for kicking me out from analysis paralysis.